By Joan Gearin
Maria von Trapp, picture from her Declaration of Intention, dated 21, 1944 january. (Records of District Courts associated with the united states of america, RG 21)
We first saw the movie The noise of Music as being a youngster, probably within the belated 1960s. We liked the singing, and Maria was therefore pretty and sort! When I expanded older, more mindful of world history, and saturated by viewing the film one or more times annually, I happened to be struck and aggravated by the somewhat sanitized tale for the von Trapp household it told, along with the bad 1960s hairdos and costumes. “It is maybe perhaps not historically accurate!” I would protest, a tiny archivist in the making. When you look at the 1970s that are early saw Maria von Trapp by by by herself on Dinah Shore’s tv program, and kid, had been she in contrast to the Julie Andrews type of Maria! She did not seem like Julie, and she found being a true force of nature. In taking into consideration the fictionalized film version of Maria von Trapp when compared with this extremely Maria that is real von, We arrived to appreciate that the story regarding the von Trapp family members ended up being most likely one thing closer to human being, and so so much more interesting, compared to the film led me to think.
An element of the tale regarding the real von Trapp family are available in the documents associated with the National Archives. Once they fled the Nazi regime in Austria, the von Trapps traveled to America. Their entry into the united states of america and their applications that are subsequent citizenship are documented into the holdings associated with the nationwide Archives and Records management.
Fact from Fiction
The Story of the Trapp Family Singers (published in 1949), there were many alterations and omissions while the Sound of Music was generally based on the first section of Maria’s book.
- Maria found the von Trapp household in 1926 as being a tutor for starters associated with the kids, Maria, who was simply dealing with scarlet temperature, not quite as governess to any or all the young ones.
- Maria and Georg hitched in 1927, 11 years prior to the grouped household left Austria, not prior to the Nazi takeover of Austria.
- Maria failed to marry Georg von Trapp because she was at love with him. She fell in love with the children at first sight, not their father as she said in her autobiography Maria. As he asked her to marry him, she wasn’t certain that she should abandon her spiritual calling but ended up being advised because of the nuns to accomplish God’s will and marry Georg. “we really and undoubtedly had not been in love. We liked him but did not love him. Nonetheless, we liked the young kids, therefore in ways we actually married the youngsters. . . . By and than I’ve ever liked before or after. by we discovered to love him more”
- There were 10, perhaps not 7 von Trapp kids.
- The names, many years, and sexes associated with the kiddies had been changed.
- Your family was musically inclined before Maria arrived, but she did help them learn to sing madrigals.
- Georg, definately not being the detached, cold-blooded patriarch of this family members who disapproved of music, as portrayed in the 1st 50 % of The Sound of Music, had been really a mild, warmhearted moms and dad whom enjoyed musical tasks together with his family members. Although this noticeable improvement in their character could have created for a far better tale in emphasizing Maria’s healing impact on the von Trapps, it distressed their household significantly.
- Your family failed to secretly escape on the Alps to freedom in Switzerland, holding their suitcases and instruments that are musical. As child Maria stated in a 2003 interview printed in Opera Information, “We did tell people who we had been planning to America to sing. So we would not rise over hills along with our hefty suitcases and instruments. We left by train, pretending absolutely absolutely nothing.”
- The von Trapps traveled to Italy, maybe maybe not Switzerland. Georg came to be in Zadar (now in Croatia), which at that right time had been an element of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Zadar became element of Italy in 1920, and Georg ended up being therefore a citizen that is italian along with his spouse and kiddies aswell. The household possessed an agreement by having a us scheduling representative if they left Austria. The agent was contacted by them from Italy and requested fare to America.
- As opposed to the fictional Max Detweiler, pushy music promoter, the von Trapps’ priest, the Reverend Franz Wasner, acted because their musical manager for more than two decades.
- Though she had been a caring and person that is loving Maria was not constantly because sweet as the fictional Maria. She tended to erupt in aggravated outbursts composed of yelling, throwing things, and doors that are slamming. Her emotions would straight away be relieved and humor that is good, while other loved ones, specially her spouse, found it less simple to recover. In her own 2003 meeting, younger Maria confirmed that her stepmother “had a dreadful temper. . . i want a russian bride . And in one moment to another location, you did not understand what hit her. We had been maybe perhaps not accustomed this. But we took it such as a thunderstorm that will pass, since the minute that is next could possibly be excellent.”
The Real von Trapps
Georg von Trapp, created in 1880, became a nationwide hero as a captain within the Austrian navy during World War I. He commanded submarines with valor and received the name of “Ritter” (knight), and later baron, as an incentive for their accomplishments that are heroic. Georg married Agathe Whitehead, the granddaughter of Robert Whitehead, the creator regarding the torpedo, in 1912. They’d seven kiddies together: Rupert, 1911–1992; Agathe, 1913–2010; Maria, 1914–2014; Werner, 1915–2007; Hedwig, 1917–1972; Johanna, 1919–1994; and Martina, 1921–1952. After World War I, Austria destroyed each of its seaports, and Georg retired through the navy. Their spouse passed away in 1922 of scarlet fever. The household ended up being devastated by her death and struggling to keep surviving in destination where that they had been so pleased, Georg offered his home in Pola (now Pula, Croatia) and purchased an property in Salzburg.
Photographs from von Trapp Declaration of Intention papers
(Records of District Courts associated with united states of america, RG 21)
Maria Augusta Kutschera was created in Vienna, Austria, in 1905. She ended up being orphaned as a kid and grew up as an atheist and socialist by an abusive relative. While going to the State Teachers’ university of Progressive Education in Vienna, she unintentionally went to a Palm service, believing it to be a concert of Bach music, where a priest was speaking sunday. Years later on she recalled inside her autobiography Maria, “Now I’d heard from my uncle that all these Bible stories had been inventions and legends that are old and that there was clearlyn’t a term of truth inside them. Nevertheless the method this guy chatted simply swept me personally off my foot. I happened to be entirely overrun.” Immediately after, Maria graduated from university, and thus of her awakening that is religious joined the Benedictine Abbey of Nonnberg in Salzburg as a newcomer. She considered that “These . . while she struggled utilizing the unaccustomed guidelines and control, . 2 yrs had been actually required to get my character that is twisted and overgrown self-will cut right down to size.”
Nevertheless, her health endured not receiving the workout and air that is fresh which she had been accustomed. Whenever Georg von Trapp approached the Reverend mom associated with Abbey seeking an instructor for their daughter that is sick had been opted for, partly due to her training and ability as an instructor, but additionally due to concern on her wellness. She ended up being designed to stay aided by the von Trapps for 10 months, during the end of which she would formally enter the convent.
Maria tutored young Maria and developed a caring and relationship that is loving all of the young ones. She enjoyed singing using them and getting them involved with outside tasks. During this time period, Georg fell deeply in love with Maria and asked her to keep with him and start to become a mother that is second their kiddies. Of their proposal, Maria stated, “Jesus will need to have made him term it by doing this because me to marry him I might not have said yes.” Maria Kutschera and Georg von Trapp married in 1927 if he had only asked. That they had three young ones together: Rosmarie, 1929– ; Eleonore, 1931– ; and Johannes, 1939–.